30 Free Outstanding Psychology Essay Topics for You to Get Inspired
Sooner or later in your life, you can face the need to select IB psychology extended essay topics and discuss them in your academic papers. Psychology is a broad and popular field. Jobs associated with this science are well-paid today. That is why many students around the world choose to join this academic program.
In this article, we will provide you with the list of psychology essay topics, some writing tips like how to develop an outline, and some other useful information. For your convenience, we have divided the list of topics in several popular categories.
Psychology Essay Example of Structure
Before starting to write an essay, it is critical to come up with an action plan. In academic writing, it is known as an outline. We can say that an outline and structure of a paper is almost the same as an outline predetermines how the work will be structured. You should follow your writing plan to avoid writer’s block and not get lost. Here is an example of a writing plan:
- Define the target audience
- Realize the goals of your study
- Pick one of the good psychology essay topics
- Collect data from the primary and secondary sources
- Analyze related materials like GRE psychology study material
- Develop an outline (intro, body paragraphs, conclusion, and references page)
- Decide on the format
- Come up with a rough draft
- Proofread and edit the draft
- Write the final copy and submit it
We have mentioned the format of a psychology paper. In most cases, that would be APA suggested by the American Psychological Association. Make sure to get and read the latest handbook as teachers require sticking to the latest standards of writing.
If you need an idea of how an outline should look like, let’s start with an introduction. An introduction of a psychology paper should have a topic presentation and explanation of its significance, the background details (origins of the problem), and a thesis statement – the central argument.
The body must consist of three paragraphs minimum. Each of them should pose a claim – the topic sentence to defend. Finally, every psychology essay should have a conclusion with a brief summary and results.
Free Psychology Essay Sample from the Writing Gurus
By having a psychology essay sample right in front of your eyes, it is easier to understand how your own work should look like. We will not offer to view the entire example, but rather a part of such paper. It is one of the best psychology essay introduction examples. The title of the work is “The Evidence for Bilingualism Delaying the Onset of Dementia.”
“Typically, people around the world know more than one language. They are rather bilingual or multilingual. Taking into account that the language of gestures and mimics also count, and there are many languages with the same origins, it makes sense. Bilingualism stands for being a native speaker of two languages while multilingualism is the fluency in more than two languages. Monolingualism is a common phenomenon only in the countries of the Third World (underdeveloped countries), and it’s about being able to speak only a single language fluently. Bilingual people are able to change their voice, manner of speaking, and other behaviors when transferring between two absolutely different languages. They believe it is a form of mental training. The more languages a person speaks, the more stable and permanent they are. This essay will list the advantages of knowing several languages based on the cognitive studies of the recent years as well as some studies of the mental disorders associated with the problems of speech.
The most recent research (Bialystok, 1986; Blom, Küntay, Messer, Verhagen & Leseman, 2014) has proven that cognitive pros of the bilingual population are improved cognitive skills, more effective problem solving, symbol manipulation, and improved memory.”
That is not a complete example of the work, but you can see clearly how you should start your paper. As you can see, it has a narrow topic which is one of the most relevant and interesting psychology research essay topics nowadays, and it looks like an author has collected enough resources and cites them properly in APA. The thesis statement is also clearly defined: it’s about proving the benefits of having several languages as native (or, at least, speak them fluently).
On the web, you may look for the full example of the sample psychology extended essay. If you’re enrolled in the IB program, you will find it useful. An extended essay appears to be longer than an ordinary essay, and it may remind you more of a research paper by its structure. By the way, let’s have a look at the psychology extended essay topics.
Grab the Best Psychology Extended Essay Topics Online
We have selected these ideas from the best extended essay written as part of IB tests during the last five years. Please rewrite the titles in your own words if you decide to use ideas from our list. We will begin with some awesome forensic psychology essay topics:
- Prominent research fields in psychology and law
- How each of the basic psychological subdivisions has contributed to studies on legal cases
- The development of eyewitness testimony
- Do polygraphs always detect the lies accurately?
- The causes and effects of sexual harassment in the workplace
- Is it possible to trick the polygraph?
As you can see, the forensic topics stand for the close relation between psychology and law. The next section includes some of the top child psychology essay topics as they are all-time relevant issues, especially for parents and tutors:
- Problems and challenges in early childhood evaluation: Inaccuracies that could take place in diagnosing early disabilities a young age
- The various types of studies that have developed to assist in evaluating learning disabilities
- The four stages of intellectual growth of the children
- Defining motor skills developed in early childhood
- Emotional development at different stages of life
- Preoperational stage of cognitive development: Jean Piaget’s psychology theories
These topics could also be defined as developmental psychology essay topics. Right, studying child psychology is beneficial for many professionals, including registered nurses and teachers. Such topics always arise a great interest. Another popular category is cognitive psychology essay topics:
- The best techniques used to recover human memories after serious trauma
- The research focused on studying the connections between intelligence and problem solving
- Is there a gap in brain structure that can influence the way in which males and females or grown-ups and teens approach problem-solving?
- Ethical issues associated with conducting research about cognitive psychology
- The impact of contemporary tech on human attention spans
- The development of an understanding of the human brain and its abilities during the course of the last fifty years
Basically, cognitive topics have to do with our brains and problem-solving processes. One more set of ideas would be the list of the top social psychology essay topics:
- Personal perception of the world around
- Prejudice and discrimination: Sexism or racism in the workplace
- The power of marketing today: Studying the approaches to effective propaganda
- The ways authorities control others with the help of cults
- The role of nonverbal communication in the age of modern technologies
- The difference between love, passion, and attraction
Those topics are quite popular. They may sound a bit broad, so think about narrower ideas from every category to discuss. You may wonder, but there are even sport psychology topics for essay to offer:
- Techniques for enhancing specific sporting skills while training
- The causes and effects of being addicted to specific sporting activities
- Do sporting activities prevent high school athletes from studying well?
- A critical observation of the basic points of sport psychology
- Realizing the connection between goal setting and sport psychology
- Factors that motivate athletes to compete harshly
In argumentative writing, one has to claim his or her position. Thus, here are some of the great psychology argumentative essay topics:
- Gender segregation is not the best idea for education
- The negative impact of forced religion on the behavior of teens
- The reasons why so many young girls fall for “bad boys”
- Sweet foods and their real impact on the mood of humans
- The best contemporary methods to connect people
- Critical thinking should become the main element of all the educational programs
Where to Get Help with Psychology Study Material
What if you lack materials and sources to create your psychology essay? Perhaps, you need more IB extended essay examples psychology free of charge. Finally, you may find that you’re running out of time or having no interest in the specific issue. Do not worry – there is a way out!
You are always welcome to contact our professional writing services, get a free consultation, and buy a custom paper of any type. We are available around the clock. We have qualified writers with diplomas from the top psychology programs of the best universities. Instead of a free psychology essay example, they will provide you with a paper written from scratch specifically for you and choose the topic if you do not have one for free!