Download file to see previous pages...
This paper examines the legislation process that was followed and the likely impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
The U.S. healthcare system can best be described as a combination of private insurance and public financing of Medicare and Medicaid. Healthcare services are mostly provided by independent entities and privately operated health care units. The government’s involvement in the healthcare provision can be traced to 1965, when President John’s enacted a bill that led to the creation of Medicare and Medicaid. Under this venture, low-income Americans could access medical insurance, from the providers who were reimbursed on a “cost plus 2% basis” (Werhane & Tieman, 2011). However, overtime, Medicare and Medicaid programs have increased government spending in the provision of care to the Americans. As Trotter (2011) points out, healthcare spending accounts for 18% of the total GDP and without the necessary reform, the spending was estimated to increase to 20% of the entire federal budget by 2020.
The U.S. health sector has also failed to provide adequate coverage to all the Americans. The available statistics indicate that one in every five Americans is not insured. The uninsured Americans are unable to access quality healthcare, hence the need to initiate a program that would widen the current coverage. Lack of adequate coverage, also affects the insured Americans as they are required to pay higher premium rates. The need to reform the U.S. health sector was also necessitated by the high mortality rates. According to Trotter (2011) majority of deaths in the U.S. are caused by preventable deaths such as obesity, heart diseases and cancer. Unfortunately, the current health care system does not allocate enough funds towards preventive care.
As Lachman (2009) suggests the current health care
...Download file to see next pagesRead More
In this case, we have our current president, Barack Obama championing the cause of his health care system for all Americans which has been come to be known as Obamacare but is actually known as the “Affordable Care Act”.
During the period of recession, he took few steps to stimulate the economy of the country. Some domestic initiatives takes during his reign were in the form of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. This act is also known as the “Obamacare”. On July 14, 2009 the house of democrats presented a plan regarding the health care system.
So when Obama finally succeeded and held his office, he fulfilled his promise in the form of Obamacare. Obamacare is actually the given name of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) or more commonly known as Affordable Care Act or ACA (Amadeo, 2010).
This pet project of his was given the name “Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010” . It's main purpose was to reform healthcare insurance and provide near universal healthcare coverage for the American people. Seen as form of socialized medicine similar to that currently existing in the United Kingdom for its subjects, his healthcare reform bill placed the mandate of healthcare coverage in the hands of the federal government (“Background on Healthcare”).
This situation has been aggravated by financial crises, which have adversely affected the country’s economy and plunged household into higher level of poverty. Consequently, the Obama Administration came up with an initiative (Obamacare) to curb the problem by enabling the uninsured and the underinsured to get adequate medical insurance cover.
Moreover, most of the common diseases were such as cholera, typhoid, typhus, and this led to a life expectancy of forty years for people living in these areas (The National Archives, 1). In addition, cholera had become a highly infectious disease, which was considered as a
Moreover, it aims to reduce the amount of health care spending. It does this by making health care affordable to the lower-income class, equalizes health care rates for both men and women, and allows health insurance coverage to even those
Medicare and Medicaid were the previously acting main health laws in United States providing health privileges to the elderly and the low-income class. The Affordable Act was introduced by the president to provide better health services to every American in order to
Since its passage in 2010 by the incumbent president, ACA has significantly impacted not only the entire medical field but also varied professions whose core role is to uphold Americans’ well-being. The notable ones include those constitute safety and health profession, which for instance embrace nursing, industrial hygienists besides others.
15 Pages(3750 words)Essay
GOT A TRICKY QUESTION? RECEIVE AN ANSWER FROM STUDENTS LIKE YOU!
Let us find you another Essay on topic Public Policy: Affordable Health Care Act also known as Obamacare for FREE!