The researcher of this paper, in relation to the Occupy Wall Street (OWS) movement, will attempt to argue that educational inequalities are indeed linked to economic inequalities and that the educational system has suffered due to corporate greed. …
Download file to see previous pages...
Center of discussion in this paper the Occupy Wall Street (OWS) movement that began on September 17, 2011 as a small uprising of several thousand people gathered on New York City's Wall Street. The movement, which originally started as a local one, has been expanding exponentially across hundreds of cities in the US, inciting equally vigorous movements around the world. It is believed that the Arab Spring, a precursor to the OWS movements, acted as an inspiration for people to rise up and fight for their rights. The OWS movement is significantly meaningful, as it was purely started by people who denounced corrupt multinational corporations and the exploitative rich. Now, it has spread to more than 100 cities in the US and 1500 cities all over the world. Such a rapid growth of the movement was possible because of the accumulated grievances of the people distressed by economic and social inequalities. The OWS movement aims to denounce the gap between the rich and the poor that has been increasingly widened by companies and corporations that refuse to take social responsibility and are engrossed in their corporate self-interests at the expense of others. The movement rallies against the rich 1% of the society, which tends to be self-centered and ignores the consequences of its actions that affect the remaining 99% of the people by causing economic inequalities. This 1% of the society includes banks on Wall Street, big corporations, etc. who not only claim and amass wealth at the expense of the remaining 99% of the population, but also influence governmental decisions and policies. (Gelder 1). One of the most important things that set this movement apart from others is that this movement has engaged a large number of students as protesters. According to Claudio Sanchez, education correspondent for NPR, more and more students are protesting against soaring college tuition fee, increasing student loan debts, and the limited job market that has resulted due to outsourcing of labor. In addition, the students in the OWS movement brought the people’s attention to the enormity of educational inequalities that are causing economic inequalities between the rich and poor. These students accuse corporate greed in the educational sector as being the reason for the increased inequalities in educational opportunities. This paper therefore, in relation to the OWS movement, argues that educational inequalities are indeed linked to economic inequalities and that the educational system has suffered due to corporate greed. The demands of the students of the OWS movement for equal educational opportunities and relief from corporate domination to ensure economic equality are thus completely justified. Although it may be hard to see the direct link between education and economic equality, it is undeniable that educational opportunity enables people to live financially better lives, considering the fact that people who have college degrees earn more than people who do not. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2012, men at age 25-34 with a Bachelor’s degree or more, on average earn $ 42,299 per year. On the other hand, men who only have a high school education earn $27,822 per year on average. More importantly, this income gap becomes bigger as they grow older and as they are promoted to higher positions at their workplace. In other words, the earning power of people with college degrees increases much faster than that of people without college degrees. Therefore, the small difference of receiving a higher education, later on, broadens the gap between the people, creating economic inequalities throughout the working life of the individuals. There is a direct relationship between education and economic stability. A poor educational system leads to a skills crisis, and students find it difficult to be
...Download file to see next pagesRead More
Cite this document
(“The Occupy Wall Street Movement: Demand for Equal Educational Essay”, n.d.)
Retrieved from https://studentshare.org/history/1395026-the-occupy-wall-street-movement-demand-for-equal-educational-opportunities-to-ensure-economic-equality
(The Occupy Wall Street Movement: Demand for Equal Educational Essay)
“The Occupy Wall Street Movement: Demand for Equal Educational Essay”, n.d. https://studentshare.org/history/1395026-the-occupy-wall-street-movement-demand-for-equal-educational-opportunities-to-ensure-economic-equality.
This essay discusses that the Occupy Wall Street Movement has played a great role in pressuring the government of the United States to ensure that equality is maintained. The protest has seen a decrease in wealth disparity between the rich and the poor. It has also ensured that the right to education is enjoyed all.
Moreover, the other major issues comprise the handling procedure of the government in respect of worldwide financial crisis and most importantly the function of corporate money particularly in the political system of the US. All these significant issues ultimately paved the way towards the emergence of Occupy Wall Street movement.
The movement is nothing to do with politics; neither there is formal organization nor leadership. It represents the progressive thinking and ideology of the public against various economic and social issues which include exploitation, corruption, economic inequality, poverty and social injustice, concentration of wealth and lack of corporate social responsibility.
A diffused group of activists initiated this movement with a small organized protest in a privately owned park, Zucotti Park in New York’s financial district. The movement provided a strong action of protest against the greed of the multinational corporate companies, social inequalities as well as the coercive exercises of the powerful banks over the democratic processes (Occupy Movement Wall Street).
The protest has been observed to experience numerous debates that will determine if the movement is reasonable or is an abuse of freedom of speech and right to dispute. Occupy Wall Street movement started on September 17, 2011 in the Zuccotti Park of New York.
5 Outcome of the Movement 7 Conclusion 8 References 9 Introduction Call it a peaceful rally or a protest movement, the Occupy Wall Street Movement surely created a stir in the US and the rest of the world in September 2011. This was followed by the uproar created at Tahrir Square movement in the early months of 2011.
It was also a protest against the lack of political representation for those who are not wealthy in this country. The group was formed partially in response to the 2008 economic collapse, which was seen as the fault of the large banks in this country, and partially because the fact that the group sees that this country simply has too much economic inequality between the haves and the have nots.
They are the ones who act against the law, much of the prohibited activities are carried out in the parks. The parks are been the place of dwelling and many of the individuals fear alot to enter the same. The Public safety and health concerns is the worst
Occupy Wall Street (OWS) has been referred to a movement which was instigated on the 17th of September, 2011 from New York City’s Wall Street and is still in the process of continuation. The protest is generally marched towards better corporate facility services, political influences, proper income distributions and reduction .
The movement goes by the slogan “We are the 99%” to represent the majority (Gaviria & Smith).
This movement originated from a proposal by an anti-consumerist publication that generally protested against the lack of legal action for
2 Pages(500 words)Essay
GOT A TRICKY QUESTION? RECEIVE AN ANSWER FROM STUDENTS LIKE YOU!
Let us find you another Essay on topic The Occupy Wall Street Movement: Demand for Equal Educational Opportunities to Ensure Economic Equality for FREE!