On the basis of Milgram’s experiment and the Kitty Genovese event, (Catherine Kitty Genovese was a young woman,28 years of age, who was brutally murdered by a man, Winston Moseley, who attacked and stabbed her…
Download file to see previous pages...
Whereas, Kitty’s case has been subjected to several inaccuracies and misrepresentations, many other similar cases have been reported recently. Clearly, then, the “bystander effect” can have a strong impact, especially on social behavior, leaving people asking why exactly does it occur? And why do people not assist others when they are part of a crowd?
More and more people are starting to pay attention and consider such kind of events as these. What leads people to become more apathetic, immoral or even cruel? Is human nature cruel? Human beings are not born cruel. A baby is always naïve and pure, they are not intentionally cruel to others. I believe that humans are not always cruel depending on certain circumstances surrounding an individual.
Furthermore, Milgram’s experiment is all about obedience to authority. It found that 65 percent of participants deferred to the authority of the experimenter and administered the final 450 volt "shock”. The other 35 percent refused to continue with the experiment. This experiment tells us that people always obey authority. I don’t believe the 65 percent of subjects were cruel just because they completed the experiment. They wanted to stop the experiment, but the experimenter kept emphasizing things such as “the experiment requires that you continue, go on please, the shocks are painful but they are not harmful.” It made participants very nervous and confused, meaning that the experimenter’s authority pushed them to be cruel and even hurt innocent people.
In brief, Milgram’s experiment is not enough proof that human nature is cruel, but people will be cruel under certain circumstances. Any normal person, usually, will not easily hurt others just for the sake of it. And if they do hurt someone they will definitely feel guilty. Someone however could be wondering that, if human nature is not cruel, then why are there so many murderers in the world? I believe murdering someone is cruel, but
...Download file to see next pagesRead More
For his everyday and lifetime realization of his dreams, a person must then choose his actions and reactions for his environment. Every action he takes or he misses to take will be a great deal for his future and a barricade for what he wishes to be. The idea that human beings have an inherent sense of right and wrong has been debated since the dawn of our species.
Yes, I agree with their believe that cruelty is part of human nature; however, I do not agree with their explanation that it is because subjects in the Milgram’s experiment acted as they did, and why none of the 38 people who witnessed and heard Kitty Genovese call for help did not respond to help or even call the police.
'Every human is indeed a slave of circumstances.' An honest man commits cruel or socially unacceptable acts mostly when situations compel him. Nobody steals things out of instinct or out of fashion. They do so for one fundamental reason that is they need it badly.
His controversial theories that place the human beings under the sign of violence and barbaric acts proved to become valid in time , especially when used in the analysis of various moments in history and time that seemed to demonstrate how insightful and justified these theories are.
s paper includes the elucidation of diverse viewpoints on the above-described topic on the one side, and presentation of personal critical opinion about the aspects associated with human nature. The study has been supported with the Islamic perspectives on human nature, while
Actions and decisions that people make, therefore aim at meeting their self centered needs, and even though the actions and decision may at times benefit other people, such benefits are secondary or may be
Human beings pick up habits and attitudes right from birth and the judgements made by an individual under any circumstance is influenced by a variety of factors that span over the years from the time of birth of the individual in question. This essay seeks to find out if
lustration and definition of human dignity and self-esteem outlining the point at which such dignity and self-esteem may be deemed to have been violated through degrading treatment and punishment. It will also illustrate by manner of definition and explanation, the terms
le, the virtue of punctuality has played a huge role in improving my academic performance as punctuality helps me reach the school in time, deliver the assignments in time, and timely revise my lessons so that I am able to achieve good grades. Similarly, the virtue of
1 Pages(250 words)Essay
GOT A TRICKY QUESTION? RECEIVE AN ANSWER FROM STUDENTS LIKE YOU!
Let us find you another Essay on topic Human nature is not cruel for FREE!