Nobody downloaded yet

Sickle Cell Trait - Research Paper Example

Comments (0) Cite this document
Sickle Cell Trait Sickle cell trait (SCT) is not a disease in itself. It refers to a condition in which a person inherits one normal gene for hemoglobin (A) from one parent and one abnormal gene for hemoglobin (S) from the other parent resulting in the genetic type (AS)…
Download full paperFile format: .doc, available for editing
GRAB THE BEST PAPER98.9% of users find it useful
Sickle Cell Trait
Read TextPreview

Extract of sample
"Sickle Cell Trait"

Download file to see previous pages Normal red blood cells are smooth and round and therefore can easily move through blood vessels. Sickle cell trait (AS) differs from sickle cell disease (SS) in which two abnormal hemoglobin genes is present, one from each parent. Sickle cell disease is a genetic disorder that affects red blood cells, making them rigid, sticky and sickle shaped. Sickling causes plugging of blood vessels to occur which essentially hinders the transport of oxygen from lungs to various organs in the body. The objective of this paper is to highlight the various aspects of the sickle cell trait namely the historical evidences, mode of inheritance and its various complications. Historical evidences: The first case of death due to sickle cell trait was documented between March 1968 and February 1969 at Fort Bliss where four army recruits collapsed and died during basic training. Since 2000, nine college football players have died from sickle cell trait complications, by far the biggest non-traumatic killer in the sport. In March 2008, a jury finds the UCF Athletics Association negligent in the death of 19-year old Erech Plancher, who collapsed and died after offseason conditioning drills. ...
When both parents have the trait, their child will have a 50% chance of having the trait (hemoglobin AS), as well as a 25% chance of being normal (hemoglobin AA) and a 25% chance of having sickle cell disease (hemoglobin SS). These risks are associated with each pregnancy. Linus Pauling asserts "I have suggested that the time might come in the future when information about heterozygosity in such serious genes as the sickle cell anemia gene would be tattooed on the forehead of the carriers, so that young men and women would at once be warned not to fall in love with each other." Complications: Sickle cell trait is normally considered a harmless condition, but extreme physical activity can lead to complications that can be fatal. Complications from sickle cell trait are important because about three million people in the United States have this genotype, about 40 to 50 times the number with sickle cell disease. (Kark 2000). When the individual is at rest, their red blood cells are normal but rigorous exercise regimes induce sickling to occur and cause several problems. Such problems include increased urinary tract infection in women, gross hematuria, splenic infarction with altitude hypoxia or exercise, and life-threatening complications of exercise, exertional heat illness (exertional rhabdomyolysis, heat stroke, or renal failure) or idiopathic sudden death (Sears 1978; Serjeant 1992; Kark and Ward 1994 and Sears 1994). We will consider each of these problems in more detail. The frequency of urinary tract infection is higher in women with SCT than in racially matched controls, especially during pregnancy, when the frequency is about double (Pastore, Savitz and Thorp 1990). The presence of SCT in men was not associated with ...Download file to see next pagesRead More
Cite this document
  • APA
  • MLA
(“Sickle Cell Trait Research Paper Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1250 words”, n.d.)
Retrieved from https://studentshare.org/english/1429777-sickle-cell-trait
(Sickle Cell Trait Research Paper Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1250 Words)
“Sickle Cell Trait Research Paper Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1250 Words”, n.d. https://studentshare.org/english/1429777-sickle-cell-trait.
  • Cited: 0 times
Comments (0)
Click to create a comment or rate a document
Sickle Cell Trait
The article describes the condition of Ryan Clark, safety of Pittsburgh Steelers and the reason why he has been restricted from playing in the upcoming game against the Denver Broncos. The writer has described the limitations a professional player has to face because of sickle cell trait and has also highlighted the underlying pathology of the blood disorder.
3 Pages(750 words)Research Paper
Sickle cell anemia
It is the oxygen carrier in blood. In other words, Hemoglobin is responsible for distributing oxygen to different body organs. It should be noted that adequate oxygen supply is necessary for many of the body organs to function well. So any defects occur to the Hemoglobin can cause problems in the functioning of different body organs.
4 Pages(1000 words)Research Paper
The knowledge level and attitudes of pregnant women in passing on sickle cell disease
This study will be guided by the following research questions: What is the level of knowledge among pregnant women with the sickle cell trait from the Mississippi Delta about sickle cell disease? What are the attitudes of pregnant women with the sickle cell trait from the Mississippi Delta about sickle cell disease?
35 Pages(8750 words)Research Paper
The various nursing intervention approaches to descrease pain among patients with sickle cell disease
SCD is a genetic disorder with autosomal recessive pattern of inheritance (Pelehach, 1995; Routhieaux, Sarcone, Stegenga, 2005) caused by a single-based mutation of adenine to thiamine resulting in a substitution of valine for glutamine at the 6th codon of the ?
6 Pages(1500 words)Research Paper
Sickle cell disease
This paper take a look at some of the various ways that the disease affects the lives of people and how this disease can be controlled and managed without causing death. A series of articles and books have been used here as the main sources for getting the useful information used here.
10 Pages(2500 words)Research Paper
Sickle Cell Disease
The diseased individuals inherit the genes from their affected parents and pass it on to their offspring. In sickle cell disease, abnormal haemoglobin S replaces the normal haemoglobin A due to alterations in the genes. The function of haemoglobin is to transport oxygen and deliver it to the different organs and cells of the human body.
5 Pages(1250 words)Research Paper
Sickle cell anemia
Most pregnant women fear telling their husbands that they should go, be screened, and would rather give birth to children who have sickle cell anaemia. The contributory factor to sickle cell anaemia is the fact that most people lack education about the disease and so are not aware about it.
10 Pages(2500 words)Research Paper
A single gene disorder
Databases suggest that there are more than 6000 known single gene disorders with an autosomal dominant or recessive or a X-linked inheritance pattern (Human Genome Project Information, 2008). One such single
4 Pages(1000 words)Research Paper
Spina bifida is considered to be a multifactorial trait because this disorder is led to by both genetic and the environmental factors. The environmental factor is considered to play a role in the
2 Pages(500 words)Research Paper
Pathophysiology of Sickel Cell disease
ife she has lived, her days of no pain are very countable, and my one greatest fear is that she may never make it to the age of 40 because of the long term effects and prognosis of the disease. Sickle cell anemia is a non treatable hereditary problem which has an effect on the
1 Pages(250 words)Research Paper
sponsored ads
We use cookies to create the best experience for you. Keep on browsing if you are OK with that, or find out how to manage cookies.
Let us find you another Research Paper on topic Sickle Cell Trait for FREE!
logo footer
Contact us:
Contact Us Now
FREE Mobile Apps:
  • StudentShare App Store
  • StudentShare Google play
  • About StudentShare
  • Testimonials
  • FAQ
  • Blog
  • Free Essays
  • New Essays
  • Essays
  • Miscellaneous
  • The Newest Essay Topics
  • Index samples by all dates
Join us:
Contact Us