StudentShare
Contact Us
Sign In / Sign Up for FREE
Search
Go to advanced search...
Free

UtilityProbability Tree Analysis - Essay Example

Comments (0) Cite this document
Summary
If we are too search for terrorists we are 90% certain that we are going to reach their secret hideout. However, this is very certain and we should go and find their hideout. However, once we reach there we have 70% chance that the hostages will not be booby-trapped and only 30% chance that these hostages will be booby-trapped…
Download full paperFile format: .doc, available for editing
GRAB THE BEST PAPER95.3% of users find it useful
UtilityProbability Tree Analysis
Read TextPreview

Extract of sample "UtilityProbability Tree Analysis"

Figure A probability tree showing different probabilities of different s of actions P(R) = (All hostage will be save when being booby trapped) + (All hostages will be save not being booby trapped)
P(R) = 0.9 * 0.3 * 0.2 + 0.9 * 0.7 * 0.6
= 0.054 + 0.378
= 0.432
If we are too search for terrorists we are 90% certain that we are going to reach their secret hideout. However, this is very certain and we should go and find their hideout. However, once we reach there we have 70% chance that the hostages will not be booby-trapped and only 30% chance that these hostages will be booby-trapped. Hence, it is more likely that hostages will not be booby trapped and hence we should continue with the excursion. However, if these hostages are not booby-trapped, we can be certain that there is a 60% chance that these hostages will be save and only 40% chance that either some or all of the hostage will be killed. However, if these hostages are booby trapped, there is 80% chance that some or all of the hostages will be killed and only 20% chance that all of the hostages will be saved. Considering both events, we can clearly see that in any event our chances of saving hostages are less than 50%. This means that it is more likely that all of the hostages will not be saved and hence we should plan our excursion in a way as to minimize the losses and to see if it is worth undertaking an excursion where all hostages cannot be saved. We should look at other alternative and make sure that if there are better options available where there are brighter chances of saving the hostages than the current situation. If there are other means and methods available then we should focus on the option where there is a most likely chance of saving the hostages. However, if there is no other option available than this excursion is the best possible option, and our team should focus on minimizing the losses as much as possible. Read More
Cite this document
  • APA
  • MLA
  • CHICAGO
(“UtilityProbability Tree Analysis Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 500 words”, n.d.)
Retrieved from https://studentshare.org/miscellaneous/1532023-utilityprobability-tree-analysis
(UtilityProbability Tree Analysis Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 500 Words)
https://studentshare.org/miscellaneous/1532023-utilityprobability-tree-analysis.
“UtilityProbability Tree Analysis Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 500 Words”, n.d. https://studentshare.org/miscellaneous/1532023-utilityprobability-tree-analysis.
  • Cited: 0 times
Comments (0)
Click to create a comment or rate a document

CHECK THESE SAMPLES OF UtilityProbability Tree Analysis

Ginger tree book review

...? The Ginger Tree Book Review Inserts His/Her Inserts Grade Inserts (24.07.11) The Ginger Tree isa story written by Oswald Wynd that is told through journal entries and fictional letters. It is a tragic and captivating tale that reveals the life of a flawed woman who gets stuck up in a flawed world. The main strength of the book does not lie in its plot or characters or style of writing but in the historical insights of life in Japan and China during the period from the early 1900s to the end of the Second World War. The story is revealed through the diary entries and letters written by Mary Mackenzie, a Scottish woman who had set sail to China to join with an English military attache she had resolved to marry in order to escape...
5 Pages(1250 words)Book Report/Review

The Black Walnut Tree

... Task The Black Walnut Tree The poem is talking a about a mother and his child who are suffering from poverty. This makes them deliberate on selling the most significant thing their father left for them so that they can pay for the mortgage. This is an open form type of poem because it does not have an established pattern. The writer is writing from free will and this is evident by the way the stanzas are divided. The opening stanza is seen to be shorter than the second stanza, which shows lack of a pattern (Oliver). The poem is an open form because the words are placed as the poet tries to form a certain form of picture for the readers to understand. The words are written in a style that they do not fit the rhyme of the poem. The speaker...
3 Pages(750 words)Term Paper

Banyan Tree Case Study

That said, these factors are important, but the main factor which contributes to Banyan Tree's success is the way that they treat their employees. Banyan Tree allows its employees to vary service delivery according to the local customs and practices, and this gives the employees investment and ownership in the company. The same goes for the fact that employees are able to be creative with bed decoration. Staff welfare is paramount to the company – they provide luxurious amenities, as well as prosaic, but necessary, amenities, such as child care facilities. Therefore, the employees have ownership, in that they really care about the facilities. This fits in with the concept of shared vision. A shared vision is one in which the lead...
9 Pages(2250 words)Essay

Dollar Tree

...? Dollar Tree Case Study Dollar Tree Case Study Introduction Chains of discount stores have come and gone across Americafor decades. The reality is that the American consumer has already yearned from discounts when purchasing products, so stores like the Dollar Tree have always had a certain niche in the market. The effective management of such companies, however, is quite difficult to achieve. Not only must massive amounts of product be procured on a regular basis in order to attract customers, but expenses must be minimized as much and as consistently as possible in order to realize any type of revenue. As such, multiple branches are needed of any one retailer in order to truly realize profit on the scale that would sustain the viability...
7 Pages(1750 words)Case Study

Family Tree

...A Family Tree shows the lineage of a particular clan. It could really be a simple family tree that consists of the immediate family members or a moredetailed one that includes generates before. For this paper, I'll be focusing on my immediate family members. My immediate family members are my father, my mother and my sister. All in all, there are four people in my family including me, and our adorable pequeo chihuahua My latino family is quite unique and special. We live in California and basically that's where our family's most wonderful memories happened. My dad is the breadwinner while my mom stays at home. My sister and I are both teachers. My macho dad is a tall man. He has blue eyes and brown hair, which he obsessively combs every...
2 Pages(500 words)Assignment

Bonsai Tree

...Bonsai literally means a tree on a tray: "bon" is a tray-like container, and "sai" means tree. As we all know, bonsai is a product of a variety of techniques which let a full grown tree thrive in a small container. The tree looks like a miniature version of how the tree species looks in nature, only with artistic additions that make it seem more poetic than a specimen in the wild. Bonsais are not just trees that are planted in small containers and then left to nature: they are trimmed, pruned and shaped using wires according to an image in the mind of the bonsai grower. A bonsai is therefore known as somewhat of a living art, which evolves and takes shape across the years, and evokes an empathetic feeling in the viewer. This means...
3 Pages(750 words)Essay

CASE STUDY tree

...CASE STUDY tree What should Joan’s response to the reporter be other than hanging up or telling him to call back? Joan has various options before her. Two most possible ones are the following. She can follow the guidelines of her chief officer by keeping away from response. Make her officer’s recommendation of community based treatment to the accused clearly known to the press, thereby easing up the situation. Though both of the options are in operational in this particular situation, a judicious decision would be to opt for the second. It is because there have been already similar situations wherein the agency had to suffer. In this situation, a silence to the issue would only damage the reputation of the agency considering the fact...
3 Pages(750 words)Essay

The Giving Tree (Silverstein)

... Dawn Murray Mr. Pierce Module English 215-section -005 Module ID: November 14, The Giving Tree “The Giving Tree” (1964) is a very pathetic story by famous American poet, fiction writer and cartoonist Shel Silverstein. The short-story, in a highly morbid way, narrates the process of life from childhood to old age, in a powerful manner by depicting the alterations in the desires, interests, necessities and views of the individuals along with the growth of his age. The story also describes the selfishness of humans towards the selfless objects of nature, which are always ready to serve the humans even by undergoing pains and sacrificing their life too during the course of time. The story also alludes to child-parent relationship, where...
2 Pages(500 words)Book Report/Review

Planting a Tree

...Planting a tree is not just the process of just planting a tree by digging a hole and throwing in the seeds. It requires a consistent effort to actually help a plan to survive and thrive over the period of time. Whenever someone is looking to plant a tree, it is extremely important to actually look for all the factors which can contribute towards the growth of tree and what you as an individual can actually do about it. If you want to plan a tree, here is a simple step by step process to be followed: 1. Identifying which tree you want to plant is the first step in this regard. Clearly define which tree you want to plant and what your purpose of planting the tree is. If you are planting a tree just for the purpose of planting, your choice...
3 Pages(750 words)Essay

Decision tree

...Decision tree The company should not give in to the union demands because it increases the unit cost from 3.52 to 4.07. By giving in, the company is disadvantaged to clinch the first contract unless other bidders place their bids far below their new unit cost. From the decision tree, it is evident that the company has very minimal chances of winning with a 0.81 probability to win should bidders quote a unit price of 4.07. The company can avoid the strike and agree with what the union suggests before the strike actually occurs. Even through the unit cost will increase from 3.52 to 3.8, it will be much better as when compared to allowing the strike to take place, which has adverse effects on winning the contract. To win the second contract...
2 Pages(500 words)Assignment

Analysis of the Methods of 3 Research Papers about Child Abuse

Research ethics was maintained as the identity of the individuals participating was kept secret. As far as the validity of the study was concerned, the researchers attempted to use content validity in order to get an accurate response. The content validity focused on measuring off the ethnicities and gender percentages within the area and attempting to get a random sample of individuals via the phone. Their approach to random calling allowed for a significant random sample in the study. There were a few issues, however, with this type of approach. Those answering the phone sometimes were not always the desired individual, and not all of the desired people were surveyed. Different replacements did have to be used, and the attempt w...
6 Pages(1500 words)Literature review

Comparative Family Analysis

The second component of this essay will be a comparative analysis with the American family to the Arab family, generally speaking, but also clearly described by Homa Hoodfar, in her book Between Marriage and the Market. This essay will discuss the impact of globalization on different types of families in different societies and cultures. The terms ‘traditional’, ‘modern’ and ‘postmodern’ will be defined, elaborated upon and discussed on a continuum of change. Social change, in the face of globalization, will be discussed in relation to how cultures and families have grown or resisted the forces of globalization. We now turn to an exploration of the types of families in the world and follow...
6 Pages(1500 words)Coursework

Economic Analysis of India

The country’s economy is fast growing with a stable political system that encourages foreign investment although with certain restrictions. The country generally has good energy, transport and communication systems which make the cost of doing business affordably.

The Republic of India found South of Asia is by far the world’s most populous democracy and ranks seventh largest in terms of geographical area (Brown, 1994). India is also the second most highly populated country in the world. The country has a rich culture with four major religions having originally emerged from it; Sikhism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism. The Indian Republic consists of seven union territories and 28 states and ranks twelfth la...
8 Pages(2000 words)Case Study

Airbus A 380: SWOT and Porters Five Forces Analysis

... this does not mean that the pilots are not needed, it is nonetheless an important aspect that the aircraft can go on “auto pilot” whenever desired. This comes in handy when there is rough weather or the landing conditions are inclement. The Airbus A 380 was built using the composite materials for the aircraft. This gives extra strength to the wings and underbelly and mitigates risks of accidents involving these parts. It can be said that building an aircraft is like a piece of art and the thousands of parts that go into the aircraft have to fit in with each other and the margin for error is non-existent as human lives are at stake. SWOT ANALYSIS In this section, I do a SWOT analysis of the Airline Industry with specific focus on Airbus...
6 Pages(1500 words)Case Study

Economic Analysis on BMW Cars in the US Car Industry

Mini and the 1-series rapidly grew at a much higher rate through 2008. Since the early days of the new millennium, BMW has been one of the first automakers to utilize flexible factories in which more than one vehicle model could be produced at the same time. This enabled the company to meet shifts in market demand more effectively than BMW’s competitors could. BMW challenges to retain its market position in the international market for luxury cars. Many automakers, such as Hyundai with its Genesis sedan or Nissan's Infiniti brand are increasingly successful in realizing higher margins earned on luxury vehicles. BMW is rated behind luxury brands such as Lexus, Porsche, Mercedes, and Infiniti for these reasons

1. Th...
7 Pages(1750 words)Case Study

Analysis of Educational Website

...) to make an impression that inclined the research to select this website for the analysis. Home Page (SE, 2010) of the selected website gives a simple and soothing look with the picture of a tree that somehow indicates the motive of the institution to provide educational resources to individuals, and tree seemed the best possible picture to illustrate such motive of the institution. Unlike other educational websites, this website (SE, 2010) has a more corporate look with no jumping animations that show the formal educational perspective of the institution. In addition, home page of the institution welcomes visitors with different categories to cater education-seeking individuals effectively. In this regard, whole website...
7 Pages(1750 words)Article

Analysis of Articles about Climate Change

...Climate change Can we imagine an Earth where there are no green mountains, no deep blue seas and no living creatures? No. But a disaster of such magnitude and dimension is looming over Earth. Humans have identified this threat, defined it and given it a name, global warming. This dangerous proposition is based on the truth that even a 5 % increase in the surface temperature on Earth can wipe out life from this beautiful planet. And the temperature is increasing as never before. It was in 1990s that the world began to hear serious warnings on global warming and climate change. The summary for policy makers prepared as part of the first assessment report by Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change was the first ever in depth... change Can we ...
6 Pages(1500 words)Literature review

Analysis of Employement Law Cases

For instance, Section 82(1) of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 provides statutory protection to workers who are working under a contract personally to execute any work or labor. It also covers self-employed people2.

Other statutes, such as the Working Time Regulations 19983 and the National Minimum Wages Act 19984, are appliable to workers, in addition to employees5. Hence, all these rights and protections are available to Fred, even if he were to be deemed a self-employed person.

Some of the more important rights bestowed upon employees by the employment law are the right to claim wrongful or unfair dismissal and payment for redundancy. Other legislation, such as the health and safety statute and the insolve...
7 Pages(1750 words)Case Study

Analysis of the Oil Industry

In 2001 alone, the US reported earning from the industry close to two hundred billion US dollars. According to a previous study, the middle east tops the list as the largest exporters of crude oil taking over sixty-six percent of the global production of oil. Europe is the least producers of oil taking only two percent of the market share (Green, 4).
According to the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, the major problem facing the industry is lack of workforce and the increase in demand for oil. The report indicated that by 2030, the world’s oil demand is expected to increase from one hundred and three to one hundred and thirty million barrels per day. Natural gas, on the other hand, will expectedly increase t...
7 Pages(1750 words)Coursework

CNN Inernal and External Analysis

There are quite a few news channels serving the American news-hungry people. When it is not reading the news, CNN offers critiques and insights into news items
Coming to brass tacks, CNN was the first US Cable Channel which offers 24 hours round the clock news. “It operates one of the top 24-hour news channels, reaching more than 100 million US homes. In addition to its flagship channel, the company offers HLN (formerly CNN Headline News), and it has an international division that keeps viewers informed in about 200 other countries.” (Cable news network Inc: Company description, 2010).

Perhaps one of the most conspicuous aspects of CNN is that it has an excellent contact network and reporters on the spo...
8 Pages(2000 words)Case Study
sponsored ads
We use cookies to create the best experience for you. Keep on browsing if you are OK with that, or find out how to manage cookies.

Let us find you another Essay on topic UtilityProbability Tree Analysis for FREE!

Contact Us