quora
Nobody downloaded yet

Explain monohybrid inheritance including co-dominance - Assignment Example

Comments (0) Cite this document
Summary
Monohybrid inheritance is an inheritance pattern in which two animals or two plants being crossed in an experiment are identical genetically except for one single heterozygous gene. That is to say, inheritance is passing parental characteristics to offspring, while monohybrid…
Download full paperFile format: .doc, available for editing
GRAB THE BEST PAPER97.4% of users find it useful
Explain monohybrid inheritance including co-dominance
Read TextPreview

Extract of sample
"Explain monohybrid inheritance including co-dominance"

Download file to see previous pages Because plant and animal chromosomes exist in matching pairs in each cell’s nucleus, there will often be two genes for a particular characteristic in a cell. Where the same allele appears twice, then the organism is referred to as homozygous for this particular characteristic. However, in cases where one chromosome has one allele contrasting from the allele in the other chromosome, then the organism is referred to as heterozygous for that particular characteristic. In heterozygous organisms, the organism’s (phenotype) appearance may be determined by a single allele and not the other allele. This allele that determines this particular phenotype is referred to as dominantly expressed allele, however, the expression of the other allele is said to be recessive (Campbell, 2006).
In general foundations, monohybrid cross are applied in determining F2 generation from homozygous pair of grandparents (one grandparent recessive, the other dominant). This leads to an heterozygous F1 generation. However, crossing two parents who are heterozygous from F1 generation results into F2 generation producing 75% chance for the dominant phenotype appearance, from which two thirds are particularly heterozygous, and 25% chance for recessive phenotype appearance. This form of cross was initially used by Gregor Mendel who did an experiment on two plants and obtained a variety of hybrid; he discovered the possible changes in the allele phenotypes (Campbell, 2006).
On the other hand, co-dominance is when the genes (alleles) are only expressed in an individual. Blood groups are a good example. Blood groups B and A are totally dominant to blood group O, but they are co-dominant to each other. In co-dominance, a single gene entails more than just one allele. Therefore a heterozygous individual for twp co-dominant alleles expresses the phenotypes that are associated with both alleles. That is to say, a situation where two distinct alleles for a particular gene ...Download file to see next pagesRead More
Cite this document
  • APA
  • MLA
  • CHICAGO
(“Explain monohybrid inheritance including co-dominance Assignment”, n.d.)
Retrieved from https://studentshare.org/biology/1619477-explain-monohybrid-inheritance-including-co-dominance
(Explain Monohybrid Inheritance Including Co-Dominance Assignment)
https://studentshare.org/biology/1619477-explain-monohybrid-inheritance-including-co-dominance.
“Explain Monohybrid Inheritance Including Co-Dominance Assignment”, n.d. https://studentshare.org/biology/1619477-explain-monohybrid-inheritance-including-co-dominance.
  • Cited: 0 times
Comments (0)
Click to create a comment or rate a document
CHECK THESE SAMPLES - THEY ALSO FIT YOUR TOPIC
Co-Occurring Disorders Paper
From a psychological perspective, this suggests that many mental disorders will have the same neurochemical pathways, and some mental illnesses may stem from the original. The purpose of this paper is to explore the comorbidity between substance abuse disorders and other mental illnesses, with a focus on their cause and effect on adolescents.
3 Pages(750 words)Assignment
Gillette: Maintaining Dominance in the Global Razor Market
The success of Gillette in the razor market has continued over the years. After continuing with the dominance in the market for several years the market of Gillette started taking a dip as Wilkinson Sword Schick emerged. In view of the competition from Schick, Gillette adopted the strategy of innovation and introduced a wide range of products in the market including some products in the wet shaving market which proved significant in re capturing their market share.
11 Pages(2750 words)Assignment
An Exploration of Apple's Dominance of the Smartphones
As the topic suggests, the present study would involve the explanation of all the aspects related to the impact of Apple in UK with respect to the Smartphone industry. The proposed research study will be designed to answer the question which states how Apple has managed to maintain its dominance in UK in the field of Smartphone.
8 Pages(2000 words)Assignment
Inheritance Information Technology Assignment
In object-oriented program a good design practice calls for creation of fairly generic version of a class. The programmer then uses these generic classes to build up specialized classes. This is achieved through inheritance. Oracle (2012) defines inheritance as that ability of a class to inherit commonly used structure and behavior from another class.
3 Pages(750 words)Assignment
Co-operation insurance company
The present study deals with different factors that influence the insurance industry and how the insurance companies can hope to perform in the industry. Here are the different forces that will influence performance of the companies as predicted by the
3 Pages(750 words)Assignment
Control & Co-ordination
The peripheral nervous system greatly consists of nerve cells which are the receptors in the body. The main receptors include the afferent and efferent nerves. These sensory receptors are responsible for detecting any change in the environment. The
7 Pages(1750 words)Assignment
Co-ordinating report
According to Bennis (1989), learning is a never ending process and students need to always have the hunger to know something new. Environmental factors contribute a lot to the learning experience. To be able to create an
4 Pages(1000 words)Assignment
Why do you think American film dominance the world
According to Waterman (2005), the United States experienced swift and flourishing pay media development during 1970s. This expanded American domestic movie market relative to
1 Pages(250 words)Assignment
Chongqing Changxing Industry Co
The company also designs assembling motorcycles, which has features of automatic wave 125 with 3 gear automatic clutch. In this regard, it can be ascertained that the company has sold approximately 7, 000, 000 motorcycles in the global market.
2 Pages(500 words)Assignment
Co-culture
They are more straight-forward and informal in their speech compared to other subcultural communities in the US. These qualities in speech help us convey more to others in lesser time and make the conversation meaningful. The informal style
1 Pages(250 words)Assignment
sponsored ads
We use cookies to create the best experience for you. Keep on browsing if you are OK with that, or find out how to manage cookies.
Let us find you another Assignment on topic Explain monohybrid inheritance including co-dominance for FREE!
logo footer
Contact us:
+16312120006
Contact Us Now
FREE Mobile Apps:
  • StudentShare App Store
  • StudentShare Google play
  • About StudentShare
  • Testimonials
  • FAQ
  • Blog
  • Free Essays
  • New Essays
  • Essays
  • Miscellaneous
  • The Newest Essay Topics
  • Index samples by all dates
Join us:
Contact Us